Board of Trustees 2021-2022
Tania Willumsen, Interim Board Chair
Dana Johnson, Treasurer
Mike Broemeling, Vice Chair
Board of Directors:
The Sheep River Health Trust (SRHT) operates under Alberta Health Services (AHS. It is incorporated under the Alberta Health Act and has charitable status under the Canada Revenue Agency. Its By-laws follow the Alberta Societies Act while incorporating Alberta Health Act requirements.
SRHT’s mandate is to raise funds to support health and wellness programs as well as services for residents of the Sheep River region, e.g., Okotoks, DeWinton, Black Diamond, Turner Valley, Longview, Millarville, Priddis and the rural areas in-between. The Board ensures that the operation of the Trust is consistent with its established vision and mission. The Board has established an ethics framework, which provides a standardized approach to working through ethical issues, code of conduct, addressing conflicts of interest and a documented decision making process.
The Board of Directors is composed of a minimum of 5 directors and a maximum of 14 Directors who are independent of management and AHS. Directors serve for a term of three years and are eligible to be re-elected for a total of three terms. The Board has adopted established standards and procedures to ensure good governance, which includes diversity of members and skills. Expertise is required in not for profit management, and any one of the following: financial and business experience, familiarity with Alberta’s health care system, human resources practices, fund raising, marketing, social media, technology, and community involvement.
The current standing committees of the Board are: Executive, Finance, Governance, Grants, Communications and Fund Development. Each of these committees operates under specific Terms of Reference. Directors are required to serve on at least one committee. The Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and members of the Executive Committees are elected by the Directors at the first Board meeting following the AGM.
Director candidates should possess some of the following Skills and Qualities:
- Commitment to SRHT’s mission.
- Strategic planning and growth experience
- Fundraising – especially individual giving, major gifts or corporate
- Marketing and communications especially in areas of social media
- Donate annually based on their financial ability or contribute time
- Commitment to be fully informed on organizational matters and participate in the Board’s deliberations and decisions in matters of policy, finance, mission, and personnel
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties and responsibilities of Board governance
- Willingness to fundraise and to reach out to personal and/or professional contacts to build organizational relationships and to seek/secure resources to fund our mission.
- Willingness to devote the time required to work effectively as a Director and attend board meetings and support events
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to think creatively
- Independent judgement and engagement in Board discussions